Sunday, November 17, 2013

Jordan - Part 1

This is the story about the adventure of Jordan!  This is a birth story!  If you don’t like reading things that you end up thinking… “that was waaay too much information” stop here.

It all started on Wednesday, Nov 13th.  I was 29 weeks pregnant and at BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) helping in the children’s program. A regular day.  About 90 minutes into playing with 1 year olds, I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom and when I got there saw lots of blood.  Not good.  I made it about half way back to the room when it happened again.  At this point I called the nurses line and left a message with my high risk OB.  I went back in to help with the kids, made it another 15 minutes and spent the remaining 10 minutes or so in the bathroom.   Time for a plan.  I knew I needed to get to the ER, but wanted to ask my friend who is a nurse for sure.  I also knew I couldn't have the kids with me, so I was going to ask another friend (who only has  1 child…since I only have 1 seat open in the van for a car seat) to switch me cars and take the kids home for me.   As soon as the lecture was done and Moms were going to start picking up their kids, I went in and the two people I needed to talk to were sitting in the first two chairs in the door.  God orchestrated this in so many ways, let me tell you.  1.  BSF is held at a church that is TWO BLOCKS away from my hospital.  2.  A lot of my friends go to BSF, so coordination for me getting to the ER was easy.  3.  I honestly was more worried about coordinating all of this part, and once that was taken care of I was breathing a lot easier.

I could still feel the baby kicking a lot, my nurse friend told me to get to the ER, and my other friend handed me her car keys and got mine and the two of them loaded up the kids and got them home and fed.  All the while I drove 2 blocks, parked, and was checked into Labor and Delivery within 15 minutes.  They immediately found baby’s heartbeat and found there to be no signs of stress on the baby.  Huge relief.  I then called Josh and filled him in (don’t worry he’d gotten a few texts from me prior to this, but I didn't really have any info to tell him up until this point).  I sent out a mass text asking for prayer and within 5 minutes had another friend coming up to sit with me in the hospital until Josh could get there (Ft. Stewart is a good hour+ drive away).  She also brought me clean clothes (because I of course thought I would be going straight home ?!)  Julie stopped by the house, dug through my laundry piles for clothes that would fit me (ha!) and when she arrived, she stopped by our friend Angela Maria’s room (she had just had her baby ((6 weeks early)) and was 2 doors down from me) and we had a good time waiting for more answers.  I had an ultrasound  (in which both Julie and Angela Maria saw the gender of the baby—WHICH WE DIDN'T KNOW—and kept the secret J) that showed possible partial abruption of the placenta (where it comes unattached from the uterine wall).  They decided since I was having regular contractions and the bleeding was still happening that they would start me on some steroids and magnesium, both would help the baby (lungs and brain) if I would end up having an early C-section.  By the time Josh arrived I had gotten the steroid shot and had an IV started with the magnesium.  We knew then I would be staying at least 24 hours.  The next several were spend coordinating child care for the next few days.  Josh couldn't completely miss work because he had a big event coming up.

I had another ultrasound the next day and another steroid shot.  The longer I was on the magnesium the more my brain got fuzzy and eye sight was cloudy.  But I didn't a lot better on it than most.  The worst part was I was SO overheated.  The AC was on full blast and I was sweating ridiculously. HA!  When my Dr came in, we talked about a plan.  We didn't know why I was bleeding, there appeared to be a blood clot at the bottom of my uterus and the presence of blood near the cervix causes contractions.  The goal was to make it to 34 weeks.  The health of the baby would be significantly less at risk if we could make it that far.  A month and a few days.  Bed rest was certain.  Whether they would let me go home was not.  They have a high-risk long-term stay section of the Mother-Baby floor, I could wait it out there, or if I was going to be wise and a good patient I could do bed rest at home.  We were really praying for that option because we were told that since it was flu season that the kids would not be able to come see me.

The Dr agreed that I could try bed rest at home and after another 48 hours I was home.


Stay Tuned for Part 2!

No comments: