Monday, May 5, 2008

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!!

Josh here. Erin and I have much to report...

We had a blast in Omaha / Lincoln this past weekend. We were able to spend some time w/ Arlan and Beth (and Dannan) on Friday night and Saturday morning before heading to Lincoln for the big race. Once we arrived in Lincoln, Erin and I picked up my race packet and proceeded to Juice Stop where the Fam was waiting. The Bran Blend was a family fav (good call Ev!). Erin and I then drove the half marathon route for recon purposes. It was then that I realized I might have gotten in over my head. Oops. For dinner, we bought some Chipotle and headed to Lucas and Meredith's home. They accommodated me greatly by supplying the necessary utensils / cookware for my pre-race dish...gotta love those carbs! So, in all my sophistication and culture, I opted for Mac & Cheese...with tuna. Yum. It was great to see them, mainly b/c I haven't seen them since Nov '06...wow.

We finally made our way to Dallas' place; she put us up Saturday night so I could get some shut eye in preparation for pounding out 13.1 miles. We enjoyed her ginormous bedroom suite...holy buckets!

Race Day. It started at 3:45am when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Erin dropped me off near the starting line around 6:45; 15 minutes later, I was on the run. I was feeling great through the first 10 miles...and then I felt not so great. My legs felt like bricks and I thought I had slowed to a turtle's pace, but I sucked it up like a good Soldier and pushed through. Looking back at my one mile splits, I realized that my times stayed consistent through the entire 13.1 miles...so basically it was all in my head. Figures. Why is the mind so much weaker than the body? Thank the Lord for my racing stripe; without it, I would have faltered. Final time...1:33:32. Whoa. That works itself out to a 7:08 minute pace. I'll take it. Plus, my cheering section rocked!

After the race, we said some goodbyes and headed to IHOP...bad choice. After we noticed some ants on our table, the waitress quickly informed us that she was sorry and asked us if we wanted more water. Wait, what? It appears there was a bit of an "ant problem" in our area of the restaurant. Not to bother...I wanted some flapjacks. Only after Erin poured some maple syrup on her delicious French Toast did we have a severe problem on our hands. That's right folks...ants IN the syrup. Awesome...our own ant cemetery. As luck would have it, I failed to notice the ants I had poured on my plate b/c some genius (me) decided he wanted CHOCOLATE CHIP pancakes...so it all looked the same to me. AND, the only way to eat flapjacks is to put syrup in between each one. Estimated ant intake for Jish = 24. Yowsers! On a good note, the ants saved us 20% off our bill. I can live w/ that.

We headed to Dallas' again for some Boggle and a shower. The rest of the afternoon was spent laughing, listening to a plethora of music genres, and one last run to Juice Stop. It was there that we were asked to support an architect from Texas w/ his cab fare to south Lincoln...except that he wasn't really an architect. Think bum looking for money. Then it was time to go back home. We said our goodbyes and loaded Kristy in the Civ for a ride to Omaha. We dropped her off and headed to PC. GREAT trip...wish you all could have been there.

Now, on to today. Erin had her heart catheterization in KC. It basically is some prep work that is needed prior to her surgery later this year. It went well. Thank you Jesus!! We enjoyed some Matrix Reloaded in the recovery room, while Erin was enjoying some applesauce. Her nurses were great; Erin and I decided that all hospitals should be like a children's hospital b/c everything is colorful and the environment spits happiness right in your face. Cool!

So this post is a honker...wow. Erin will put some pictures up tomorrow. Until then...I Love You All!! =)

5 comments:

Dr. and Mrs. Thomas said...

laughed out loud. many times. now i'm going to make Ryan read it and watch him laugh too.

Love you guys!

Lyndsey said...

Been thinking about you guys - we need to get together soon!

Mr.A! said...

wonderful that you joined! I have a blog for my class...but nothing for the Arasmith's! Hopefully, we get to hang out soon.

rebecca.taylor said...

Erin Pants Schweitz Barricklow!

I'm coming to your home! Mrs. Felder just made me realize that duh, you two live in Kansas City... and I'm flying in there on May 20th for a few days of touring the beautiful state of Kansas before driving out to CO for summer project. But isn't that crazy? We WILL be friends then. For sure.

Holly said...

Well, if I had known you were going to run right by my house I would have put up a sign for you or something.